What is E-Way Bill? And why is E-Way bill required in India? These are common questions when you start moving goods from one place to another anywhere in India. Under India Goods and Services Tax (GST), registered transporters should carry an E-Way Bill when moving goods from one place to another according to certain conditions. E-Way Bill is an Electronic Way Bill for movement of goods to be generated on the E-Way Bill Portal.
Who should generate the e-way bill and why? E-way bill is to be generated by the consignor or consignee himself if the transportation is being done in own/hired conveyance or by railways by air or by Vessel. If the goods are handed over to a transporter for transportation by road, E-way bill is to be generated by the Transporter. Where neither the consignor nor consignee generates the e-way bill and the value of goods is more than INR 50,000/- it shall be the responsibility of the transporter to generate it. Further, it has been provided that where goods are sent by a principal located in one State to a job worker located in any other State, the e-way bill shall be generated by the principal irrespective of the value of the consignment. Purpose of E-Way Bill is to ensure that goods being transported comply with the GST Law and is an effective tool to track movement of goods and check tax evasion.
How is it generated in Netsuite and other services with Netsuite? Netsuite has E-Way Bill feature for India Localization and if you are looking for other option, Avalara also has TrustFile GST Transaction and e-Waybill API that has been developed to automate via APIs with Netsuite.
Using the India Localization SuiteTax Engine SuiteApp, it enables you to perform the following processes for E-Way Bill in Netsuite:
- Ability to use E-Way Bill feature for subsidiaries where country is set to India
- Ability to set up E-Way Bill thresholds for different supply and amount types
- Ability to assign default transportation details on multiple transactions through the Generate E-Way Bill page
- Generate an E-Way Bill report for single or multiple transactions through the Generate E-Way Bill page
- Ability to export the generated E-Way Bill report into CSV format for submission to the E-Way Bill online portal
- Update the transactions included in the exported CSV file, by adding the E-Way Bill No. and Date from the generated E-Way Bill online.
Using Avalara TrustFile GST, E-Waybill API has been developed to automate:
- Extraction of transactions and transmission to TrustFile GST via API
- Generation of e-Waybill and transmission to Source system from Trustfile GST
- Update Cancel and Consolidation of e-Waybill
Transactions can be for Outward and Inward supplies, which are to be extracted from Netsuite via APIs. Following are the scopes covered under this API:
- Ability to maintain the identity and access control for the users within TrustFile GST. It can be used to save transactions to accounts within TrustFile GST application to the feed of transactions into TrustFile GST.
- Ability to Authenticate TrustFile GST API users using TrustFile GST API Key that is generated on the Trustfile GST Application UI.
- Ability to handle the error and report via error messages sent as responses to API calls.
- Ability to generate, update and cancel e-Waybill Number, store in Trustfile GST Database and display on Trustfile GST UI.
- Ability to transmit generated, updated and cancelled e-Waybill Number to Netsuite.
- Ability to download PDF of generated e-Waybill document from TrustFile GST UI and from Netsuite.
E-Way Bill in India is bound to improve the turnaround time of vehicles and help the logistics industry by increasing the average distances travelled, reducing the travel time as well as costs. Do you have more questions about E-Way Bill in India, or get guided support or training? Contact Concentrus today to discuss your needs.
Concentrus is a complete NetSuite solutions provider that guides organizations through how to use NetSuite to reach highly focused business goals and objectives. We provide NetSuite implementation, developer, integration, and customization services to ensure that you have a long-term solution that is tailored to fit your systems, people, and processes.
Read About Our Implementation Methodology